Brenta Group, the "cathedral in the Alps"
Brenta Group is the most awe-inspiring collection of Dolomite peaks (old coral reefs before they emerged from the sea). Mountaineers cannot but fall in love with this place. Endless hiking, climbing (with many "vie ferrate"), with traditional mountain huts. Suggested starting points for the most challenging hikes - up to 3,173 meters elevation - : Andalo and Molveno (40-50 min), Madonna di Campiglio (80 min). In both cases gondola lifts can be used to reach a high starting point.
Angela Merkel with Reinhold Messner, mountaineer, adventurer, explorer, and author from the Italian autonomous province of South Tyrol. On a rainy day, if you like Alpine Mountaineering, we suggest you visit the Messner Mountain Museums at Bolzano, 30 min by freeway.
Local hiking: Marzola, Vigolana (Eagle Rock)
You can start directly from the apartment for interesting or relaxing hikes on Marzola (simpler) or Vigolana (longer and more challenging trails). As an "appetizer", reach the Fersina river (5 min walk), go up to the white University building by the pedestrian-only bridge and path (map here), reach the local train station (with trains to Lake Caldonazzo...and many stops leading to Mestre-Venice) and then the village of Povo, refresh yourself at the fountain, and have cofee, ice-cream, lunch or dinner (pizzeria in the center), about 30 minutes. Go up to the local hill with a view (Sant'Agata), additional 15 minutes.
(flight over Vigolana, Eagle Rock)
Marzola and Vigolana offer tens of trails, from the simplest and relaxing ones to the challenging ones for expert climbers. All trails are cleary numbered and marked (red-white signboards). Get your map, water, energetic food, and do not get lost. Considering reaching a mountain hut to rest and have a local lunch (like "polenta e luganeghe" or "crauti").
For Marzola, you can either start from the apt., or take bus number 5 to start from a higher elevation. If properly trained and equipped, you can proceed to the Chegul mountain top (with safety equipment). Chegul top has a small "via ferrata" (climbing path with metal ropes and stairs for additional safety). You can go up one way, and down along a different path towards Lake Caldonazzo, then completing the tour. Two-three hours in total, with inspiring environment, rocks, peaks, woods, flowers.
On the contrary, reaching Maranza mountain hut (Rifugio Maranza ) is for everybody, including kids (about 1-2 hours depending on starting elevation). Nice views over Adige valley and local peaks, meadows for playing soccer, lying in the sun, restaurant with local food or picnics. ( Trails on Marzola (map) )
Vigolana (Eagle Rock) presents much longer trails, also with abundant clibing possibilities, rocks, meadows, woods, caves, etc. Famous for a bear-like spot well visible from Trento after snow falls (in a local proverb, "se vedi l'orsa sulla Vigolana, non dimenticare la maglia di lana" - "if you see the bear on Vigolana, don't forget your knitted wool"). A suggested simple trail on Vigolana is number 432 called "sentiero dei pastori" (trail of the shepherds), leave car at starting point "FRISANCHI", 4,2 Km, two hous walking approx, reaching Rifugio Casarota ( Casarota mountain hut, local mountain food), (photos here). A shorter alternative: number 442 from Sindech, same destination: Rifugio Casarota.
Local hiking: Bondone and Viote (tour of three peaks)
Reach Monte Bondone (30 min) and park at "Piana delle Viote". Depending on your activity and adrenaline level you can:
- Lie down in the meadows, sunbath, picnic, sleep under the shadow of the conifers.
- Walk in the shadow or in the sun and admire wild flowers on the superb Viote plateau. Also, botanical garden close to the parking area (with "Rifugio Viote" mountain restaurant).
- Hike along the "three peaks" tour (2-4 hous walk, depending on speed and detailed path)
- Climb on "via ferrata" (climbing path with metal safety rope- only for expert people with proper equipment)
The three peaks of Bondone in winter (from "Le Viote" pasture land, ideal for cross country skiing).
The three peaks in summer ("via ferrata" to reach Dosso D'Abramo).
Reaching the top and signing the "peak diary".
Local hiking: burrone di Mezzocorona (canyon of Mezzocorona)
Park at Mezzocorona (15 min North from Trento, also reachable by local trains). Depending on your deep passions you can:
- Take the cableway to reach about 900 meters elevation (Monte, view over Adige valley and roe deers if lucky) and then walk along pasture land (restaurants with local "mountain" food, try "tortel de patate"!). You can also reach "Malga Kraun" (a second nice mountain restaurant, about 1h relaxing walk).
- Hike along a simple but steep and sunny path (number 504).
- Climb on "via ferrata Giovannelli" 505 (climbing path with metal safety rope- only for expert people with proper equipment), in the canyon. Very refreshing in the summer, waterfalls, caves, etc. Free showers in nature included if you want.
- Mix and match the above possibilities as desired. You can go up along the canyon, down with the cableway, or by the simpler panoramic walk 504.
Useful brochures to print and bring with you (from local tourist office - Azienda Turismo Trento Bondone Valle dei Laghi)